WAVE For months I'd moved across the open water Like a wheel under its skin,a frictionless and by then almost wholly abstract matter with nothing in my head beyond the bliss of my own breaking: how the long foreshore would hear my full confession ,and I'd drain into the shale till I was filtered pure. There was no way to tell on that bare plain but I felt my power run down with the miles and by the time I saw the scattered sails, the painted front and children on the pier I was no more than a fold in her blue gown and knew I was already in the clear. I hit the beach and swept away the town.
-----Don Paterson 作者是苏格兰诗人音乐人。Rain是他最新的一本诗集,并获得'Forward Prize for best collection.' 登载在3月3日这一期New Yorker上面。 我读了挺感动,想把它翻译成中文,但又怕失去那一份感动就抄在这里,如果有谁读了也喜欢,就好了。
For months I'd moved across the open water
在汪洋中我漂流数月
Like a wheel under its skin,a frictionless
周转如皮下之轮,毫无阻力
and by then almost wholly abstract matter
至此,一切全演变成抽象事物
with nothing in my head beyond the bliss?
脑海荡漾在极乐之中
of my own breaking: how the long foreshore?
充满自我降服:那长长的海岸
would hear my full confession ,and I'd drain
期待聆听我的全部忏悔,我也将
into the shale till I was filtered ?pure.
被那页岩过滤得纯洁无瑕
There was no way to tell on that bare plain
无从告知那荒漠的平原
but I felt my power run down with the miles
但我感知历程将自身力量殆尽
and by the time I saw the scattered sails,
待到我望见帆影点点
the painted front and children on the pier
涂漆的前沿,码头的孩童
I was no more than a fold in her blue gown
我只不过是她兰裙上的皱褶
and knew I was already in the clear.
了悟,我已经畅行无阻
I hit the beach and swept away the town.
我冲向海滩吞没整个城镇。