Acquainted with the Night 熟悉黑夜
BY ROBERT FROST 罗伯特·弗罗斯特
I have been one acquainted with the night. 我是熟悉黑夜的过客。
I have walked out in rain—and back in rain. 我曾来回在雨中走过,
I have outwalked the furthest city light. 走过城市之光不及的角落。
I have looked down the saddest city lane. 我低头走在最悲哀的街巷,
I have passed by the watchman on his beat 走过巡逻的打更人身旁
And dropped my eyes, unwilling to explain. 我无意解释,垂下眼光。
I have stood still and stopped the sound of feet 我也曾站立,湮灭足音,
When far away an interrupted cry 当远处传来断续的喊声
Came over houses from another street, 穿过街巷,越过房顶。
But not to call me back or say good-bye; 那不是告别,亦非叫我回归;
And further still at an unearthly height, 而在非尘世遥远的天帷,
One luminary clock against the sky 还挂着明亮的钟,但夜色漆黑。
Proclaimed the time was neither wrong nor right. 它宣告这时刻无所谓对错。
I have been one acquainted with the night. 我是熟悉黑夜的过客。
最近,为了说明用文言七律在长度上足以应付十四行诗,我再次试译如下。自知改写得不够好,虽然平仄相适,但没有对仗,不敢称为七律,权且抛砖引玉:
数番雨夜走长街
灯火阑珊人迹绝
巡警打更身旁过
无言未敢目光接
偶闻叫喊穿屋巷
非唤回家非告别
明钟高挂天庭上
或子或寅浑不觉